Request A Case Evaluation Or Tax Resolution Development Plan

Taxpayer Reporting Requirements for Foreign Real Estate

Many U.S. taxpayers do not realize that they must report their worldwide income, regardless of whether they are living in the U.S. or abroad.  If you are a U.S. Citizen or resident alien, you must report your worldwide income from whatever source, subject to the same income tax filing requirements that apply to U.S. Citizens or resident aliens living in the U.S.

This worldwide income reporting requirement also applies to income, such as rental proceeds, generated by real estate the taxpayer owns in a foreign country.  A U.S. Taxpayer also must report on his or her U.S. Federal Income Tax Return the sale of real estate located in a foreign country.

Ownership of specified foreign assets, such as foreign bank accounts, often triggers certain tax reporting requirements.  For example, a U.S. taxpayer who owns a foreign account must file a FinCEN Form 114, Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR), if the aggregate value of the foreign accounts exceeds $10,000 at any time during the calendar year.  Many taxpayers will also be required to file a Form 8938, Statement of Specific Foreign Financial Assets with his or her annual tax return depending on some specific threshold values.

Ownership of real estate, however, does not trigger these additional reporting requirements.  As discussed above, a U.S. taxpayer will need to report any income generated from ownership or sale of the real estate.  However, if the taxpayer merely owns real estate in a foreign country as a second or vacation home and does not generate income from the property, the taxpayer is not required to report this asset to the IRS.

U.S. taxpayers who own income-generating real estate in a foreign country would benefit from the experienced tax attorneys of the Law Office Of Jeffrey B. Kahn, P.C. representing you to avoid the pitfalls associated with failure to comply with the reporting requirements associated with owing foreign real estate.

Description: Let the tax attorneys of the Law Offices Of Jeffrey B. Kahn, P.C. resolve your IRS tax problems, get you in compliance with your FBAR filing obligations, and minimize the chance of any criminal investigation or imposition of civil penalties.

Request A Case Evaluation Or Tax Resolution Development Plan

Get a Tax Resolution Development Plan from us first before you attempt to deal with the IRS. You would meet with Board Certified Tax Attorney Jeffrey B. Kahn at the office location most convenient to you. Jeff will review your situation and go over your options and best strategy to resolve your tax problems. This is more than a mere consultation. You will get the strategy or plan to move forward to resolve your tax problems! Jeff’s office can set up a date and time that is convenient for you and take your credit card information to charge the $600.00 session fee which secures your appointment. By the end of your Tax Resolution Development Plan Session, if you desire to hire us to implement the strategy or plan, Jeff would quote you our fees and apply in full the $600.00 charge for the Tax Resolution Development Plan Session.